MFA, Maryland Institute College of Art
BA, Carnegie Mellon University
SOLO and TWO-PERSON EXHIBITIONS
For the Gods, Rosalux Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, 2018
Impossible Is Nothing, Bobick Gallery, University of West Georgia, Carrollton, GA, 2017
Somewhere (Else), with Shannon Estlund, Rosalux Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, 2016
Seamless, New Genre Festival, Living Arts, Tulsa, OK, 2015
Art Inspiring Art, with George Bellows, Hillstrom Museum of Art, St. Peter, MN, 2015
Minnesota Market: The Karmel Mall, Hosmer Library, Minneapolis, MN, 2015
Making Mona Lisa, Winona Arts Center, Winona, MN, 2015
- Dittmar Memorial Gallery, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2014
- Mason Hall Atrium Gallery, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA, 2014
The Road to Shantou, York College Fine Arts Gallery, Jamaica, NY, 2013
China in Transition, with Dan Dennehy, IFP Minnesota Center for Media Arts, St. Paul, MN, 2010
Fortune, The Phipps Center for the Arts, Hudson, WI, 2010
- Fine Arts Gallery, Orange Coast College, Costa Mesa, CA, 2010
- Hillstrom Museum, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN, 2010
Global Market, Minnesota Center for Photography, Minneapolis, MN, 2008
Market, Perspectives Gallery, MIAD, Milwaukee, MN, 2009
- The Art Center of St. Peter, St. Peter, MN, 2006
Private/Public, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD, 2000
Femella, Manchester Craftsman’s Guild, Pittsburgh, PA, 1996
SELECTED GROUP EXHIBITIONS and SCREENINGS
The Concordia Biennial: The Art of Teaching, Concordia Gallery, Concordia University, St. Paul, MN, 2016
It's so hard to live without you, Helsingborgs Dagblads Photo Salon, Landskrona Photo Festival, Landskrona, Sweden, 2016
The Golden Hour, See 18 Film Screening Room, MSP International Airport, Minneapolis, MN 2016-17
North of the 45th Parallel, DeVos Museum,Marquette, MI, 2016
Experimental Cinema: Pixels, Minneapolis International Film Festival, St. Anthony Main Theater, Minneapolis, MN, 2016
Society of Scottish Artists Annual Exhibition, RSA Gallery, National Galleries of Scotland, Edinburgh, 2015
This From There, Circa Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, 2015
Photography Since the Millennium, Louisville Photo Biennial, Carnegie Center for Art and History, New Albany, IN, 2015
SPE Combined Caucus Juried Exhibition, Ogden Museum of Southern Art, New Orleans, LA, 2015
SPE Combined Caucus Juried Exhibition, UCF Fine Arts Gallery, Orlando, FL, 2015
Perspectives, MN State Arts Board, St. Paul, MN, 2014
Faux/Real, Non-Fiction Gallery, Savannah, GA, 2014
Finders and Keepers, Duchesne Academy (participating Fotofest space), Houston, TX, 2014
Acquisitions and Debuts of the Hillstrom Museum of Art, St. Peter, MN, 2013
Art in the Age of Globalization: Outsourced, Minneapolis Institute of Art, MN, 2012-2013
What Cannot Be Cured Must Be Endured, Paul Robeson Gallery, Newark, NJ, 2012
Terraforming: Contemporary discourse in landscape photography, King Street Gallery, Silver Spring, MD, 2012
Then + Now, Hillstrom Museum, St. Peter, MN, 2012
Intersections, Minneapolis College of Art and Design Gallery, Minneapolis, MN, 2012
EA$T/WE$T: A Global Look at Capitalism, New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art, New Harmony, IN, 2011
Faculty Exhibition, Schaeffer Gallery, Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN, 2010
2008 McKnight Fellows Exhibition, Franklin Artworks, Minneapolis, MN, 2010
Re-Generate, Re-Image, Re-Focus: New Directions in Photography, Priscilla Payne Gallery, Bethlehem, PA, 2009
Yummy, Nexus Foundation, Philadelphia, PA, 2007
Visual Noise, UMC Art Gallery, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO, 2007
Imagining Namibia, The Art Center of St. Peter, St. Peter, MN, 2006
Soul Searching, Cyrus M. Running Gallery, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN, 2006
WCA International Video Shorts Festival, Boston, MA, 2006
Cuba Libre, The Art Center of St. Peter, St. Peter, MN, 2004
Faculty Exhibition, Carver Center for Arts and Technology, Baltimore, MD, 2003
SPE Regional Conference Exhibition, Manchester Craftsman’s Guild, Pittsburgh, PA, 2002
True Confessions, Charles Theater, Baltimore, MD, 2000
On Sight, The School of Visual Arts, New York, NY, 2000
The Photographic Persona, Belknap Gallery, Univ. of Louisville, Louisville, KY, 1999
The Y2K Solution, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, 1999
AugenMusik (installation/performance), Peabody Conservatory, Baltimore, MD, 1999
Emerging Artists, Maryland Federation of Artists, Annapolis, MD, 1999
LaGrange National, LaGrange College, LaGrange, GA, 1998
Choice, Tate Gallery, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, 1998
Three Rivers Arts Festival, Wood Street Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA, 1997
She Defies Gravity, Ekhartsberga Gallery, McKees Rocks, PA, 1996
Exposures, Garfield Artworks, Pittsburgh, PA, 1996
Three Rivers Arts Festival, Wood Street Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA, 1995
Arts on Tour, Vine Street Gallery, Sharon, PA, 1994
Manchester Craftsman’s Guild Staff Exhibition, Pittsburgh, PA, 1994
SELECTED AWARDS and RESIDENCIES
Minnesota State Arts Board Artist Initiative Grant, 2010, 2014 and 2018
Photo Lucida Critical Mass, Finalist, 2012 and 2014
Chinese European Art Center Residency, Xiamen, China, 2010 and 2013
Review Santa Fe, CENTER, Santa Fe, NM, 2011
Baum Award for Emerging Photographers, Nominee, 2010
Art Channel Residency, Beijing, China, 2008
McKnight Artist Fellowship for Photography, 2008
Small Projects Room Grant, Minnesota Center for Photography, 2008
Juror’s Award, Maryland Federation of Artists, Annapolis, MD, 1999
Museum of Contemporary Photography, Midwest Photographer’s Project, Chicago, IL
Hillstrom Museum, St. Peter, MN
Cleveland Institute of Art, Cleveland, OH
Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN
Impossible Is Nothing: China's Theater of Consumerism; by Priscilla Briggs (photographer), Susannah Magers (foreword), Rob Schmitz (essay); Daylight Books; 2017.
Books, Journals and Magazines:
• Don’t Take Pictures; Wintertime; Feb-May 2018.
• Edge of Humanity Magazine; How China Is Taking A Big Bite In The Art Market; 1.18.18.
• F-Stop Magazine; Street Photography; Issue #86; December 2017/January 2018.
• Newsweek Japan; Impossible Is Nothing: Photographs by Priscilla Briggs; 7.18.2017.
• PDN Photo of the Day; Capitalism with Chinese Characteristics; 5.16.17
• Daylight Digital Feature; Impossible Is Nothing: China's Theater of Consumerism; by Priscilla Briggs and Rob Schmitz; 3.23.17
• F-Stop Magazine; Open Theme; Issue #80; December 2016/January 2017.
• Hypertext Magazine; Impossible Is Nothing: Visual Art by Priscilla Briggs; 11.29.2016.
• Humble Arts Foundation; Winter Pictures: Group Show 48; February 2016.
• Hypertext Magazine; Seamless by Priscilla Briggs; 1.22.2016.
• Dialogist Quarterly; Seamless by Priscilla Briggs; Vol. II, Issue II; 2014
• thirty two Magazine; The Life and Death of Malls; photo essay by Priscilla Briggs, essay by Frank Bures; No.5: Winter/Spring 2014.
• Hyperallergic; Documenting China’s Burgeoning Bra Industry, by Alicia Eler, 8.22.13
• What Cannot Be Cured Must Be Endured; essays by Anonda Bell, Mary Cappello, Mark Dery, Sharla M. Fett, and Caren King Choi; Paul Robeson Galleries; Rutgers University; 2012.
• Panhandler Magazine; "Red & Gold"; University of West Florida; Spring 2012.
• Intersections: Women, Leadership, and the Power of Collaboration; essays by Karen Wirth and Patricia Briggs; Minneapolis College of Art and Design; 2012.
• 2008 McKnight Artist Fellowships for Photographers; essays by Bartholomew Ryan; Franklin Art Works; 2010.
• Light and Lens: Photography in the Digital Age; by Robert Hirsch; Focal Press; 2007 and 2012.
Reviews and Interviews
• Mankato Free Press, Professors' exhibits explore contrasts and climate change, by Kristine Goodrich, 2.7.18
• We Heart, Photographer Priscilla Briggs documents the curious juxtapositions of China's burgeoning consumer class..., by Francesca Soler, 8.24.17
• F-STOP: A Photography Magazine, Book review: Impossible is Nothing: China’s Theater of Consumerism by Priscilla Briggs, by Cary Benbow, 8.20.17
• LENSCRATCH, Priscilla Briggs, Impossible is Nothing: China’s Theater of Consumerism, by Aline Smithson, 7.2.17
• aPhotoEditor, This Week in Photography Books: Priscilla Briggs, by Jonathan Blaustein, 6.16.17
• L'oeil de la Photographie, Impossible is nothing: China’s theater of consumerism seen by Priscilla Briggs, by Priscilla Briggs & Myrtille Beauvert, 6.5.17
• Amateur Photographer, Impossible is Nothing, 5.20.17
• Konbini, Économie et identité : l'enquête visuelle de Priscilla Briggs sur le consumérisme chinois, by Lisa Miquet, 5.17.
• Artcetera, Star Tribune, From China with capitalist love? Minneapolis artist Priscilla Briggs explores the mall, by Alicia Eler, 4.19.17
• 365 Artists 365 Days, "Priscilla Briggs -- Minneapolis,MN", 9.19.14
• Savannah Morning News, “Art & Soul: Juried exhibit explores reality, illusion”, by Allison Hersh, 8.9.14
• OtherPeoplesPixels Blog, “OtherPeoplesPixels Interviews Priscilla Briggs”, by Stacia Yeapanis, 8.29.13
• The Washington Post, “Terraforming: Contemporary Discourse In Landscape Photography”, By Michael O'Sullivan, 3.16.12
• City Pages Blog, “MCAD exhibition highlights women leaders and collaboration”, Sheila Regan, 1.20.12
• China Insight; “Delicate Balance is Shown in ‘China in Transition’”; Anthony James; Vol.9, No. 8, September 2010.
• MPR News Q, “Four photographers, four worlds”, Marianne Combs, 6.14.10
• The Star Tribune, “'Winds' is fresh air”, Mary Abbe, 10.3.09
• The Morning Call, “Moravian photo-video show turns ideas upside down”, Geoff Gehman, 2.15.09
• The Wake, “Global Market Gallery”, Megan Exl, 4.10.08
• The City Pages, “Priscilla Briggs: Global Market”, Ben Palosaari, February, 2008